Friday 20 January 2012

Amazingly poor comedy, in fact sh*t comedy

At one point, a time when I had not really seen or heard of a great deal of American animated comedy, I actually believed that there were some talented, and indeed, funny writers over the other side of the pond. Then I actually took the time to watch some of the programmes and completely changed my view. I realise that there is no accounting for taste but, and it is a big but, without the experience to compare there is no foundation to complain. Nonsense I suppose without specifics, so let me supply them.

A young man, who shall remain nameless, I will for the sake of this account choose the name...Sam. Ok, Sam has advocated the jocularity and comedy genius of 'Family Guy' for quite some time and as such I took him at his word and made the time to watch this popular animated series. Critical? Intolerant? I am certainly both but I must say that I was suckled on programmes such as 'The two Ronnies', 'Porridge' and 'Monty Python'. As I (im)matured I absorbed 'Black-Adder', 'Red Dwarf' and 'Fools and Horses'. There is genuine genius in all of these but, another big 'kin but, my lads have no notion or interest in them. Instead they prefer the inane, formulaic, bullshit of American nonsense. Heigh-Ho, no accounting for taste I suppose, but, I laugh at the size of this one. Without a real ken of what has gone before and shown the rubbish written by the hacks that put together such shows as the animated dross, and others; Friends, Two and a half men etc. etc. then our children are lost. Lost in a wilderness of heavily telegraphed yet pathetic visual gags (Benny Hill was best at this) and obvious reversals I would prefer a televisual time machine to take us back to a time when it was best just to make people laugh and feel better about themselves.

Finally, I must say, at the behest of my conscience, that this is all all opinion and that I am a militant, opinionated, comedy snob. Laughter exists everywhere and we should allow the generation of the humour to arise at every opportunity, but it's my blog!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment