Friday 9 March 2012

Caravans, clubs and uric acid

After the wash out last weekend at the caravan we returned to a more encouraging situation, though a tad chilly. Last week we arrived with the intention to stay for Friday night only with a visit to the club at Solent Breezes on the first night it opened. Sadly (or not) this was not to be. As usual, I assumed I knew better when it came to draining down the caravan for winter and didn't bother. I did however turn off the water as we had suffered a rather serious flood last year when the supply water pipe to the boiler burst and it was weeks before we discovered this. The caravan was completely flooded, the work surfaces in the kitchen had all lifted and the water had even reached the bedrooms, the carpets were sodden. Thankfully it was so cold that no bacteria had the chance to create a problem, we managed to dry everything out and save the day. This year when we arrived I turned the water back on and was rewarded by the sound of gushing liquid, I looked beneath the caravan and, as last year realised that the staff onsite had disconnected the main drain down points. I spent the next two hours crawling in the cold mud in the narrow space beneath the caravan, on my front and back through nettles and over the debris we had consigned to this out of sight area. When I emerged, confident that I had reconnected every pipe I looked definitely the worse for wear. Somewhat smugly I returned to the stopcock and turned the water back on. I swore like a Bulgarian pimp for a little while, there was still multiple leaks. I discovered a massive split in the copper supply pipe to the kitchen sink, after trying a running repair I gave up and we went home. The following day I rang the site and requested the assistance of someone who knew what they were doing. Returning the following afternoon the plumbers were present. There were four massive splits in pipes, which they fixed (bill still to arrive) but the weekend was over.

Today the water was on and the caravan was dry. I also installed a new TV antenna last weekend so we had a decent connection for the big analogue switch off so all was well. The boys and Beth have other arrangements tonight so it is just me, Emma, dad and Eddy spending the night. It appears that dad, at least is not interested in a visit to the club but I will be there in a few moments to have a cider and finish this blog. Taking time to wonder up there now. Change of plan, I'm waiting for Emma to get a trowel and finish her make-up.

I have mixed feeling regarding the club and indeed any club at holiday camps. The benefits are obvious, keeping the kids occupied and a nice cosy bar. The negatives are also obvious, tattooed shagwits banging on about football, bingo and some sub-human elements. I am a snob and I know it, I am also intolerant so if anyone reading this finds me sounding a bit of a twat, then that's fine.

Dad, went to the doctors this morning to check out a pain in his foot. It turns out he harm as suspected, gout. The build up of uric acid was triggered, evidently, by a large intake of maple syrup. He is hobbling around like a disabled rhino but other than this he is making a really good recovery.

Right off to the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment