Saturday 24 March 2012

Hamburg - day 1

What a fantastic start to the Hamburg sausage trail.

I realised when I was planning the whole sausage calendar that Germany would have to figure strongly in there somewhere, the sausage tradition was too strong to ignore. In fact it is the German tradition that will form the US element of the sausage trail.

I have tried to ensure that each chapter and indeed each trip revolves around a unique theme, albeit still a sausagey one. Matt had carried out a degree of research regarding the target of my visit, the currywurst, and had come up with an establishment named 'Curry Queen'. I realise back home that this could be taken to mean an extremely camp balti chef but here the 'Curry Queen' is a popular and established brand. The traditional currywurst is a bratwurst sausage, sliced and covered in a tangy curry ketchup. At the 'Curry Queen' they have taken this idea and progressed it to the next level.

Matt and I arrived at the 'Curry Queen' for a late lunch. I had read some Google translated reviews on the restaurant and expected something far grander the the narrow, almost empty eating establishment that I found. Nestled between boutiques, with three tables on the street I could see how the restaurant could fill rather easily, one of the reviews had mentioned that at peak times it was not uncommon to queue for some time. The staff were warm and friendly and recommended the taster menu, six different curry sauces of increasing intensity on sliced Bratwurst. What can I say? It was different and a new experience but I could see how this was popular and how the 'Curry Queen' was one of the top currywurst restaurants in the count
ry. We spoke to the owners (a very, very interesting conversation but will saved for the book) who offered us their gourmet sausage 'on the house'. The Wagyu Kobe beef sausage was amazing. A couple of hours into my Hamburg jaunt and Matt had exposed me to enough material for the entire chapter.


Today we are 'grilling' as a friend of Matt's informed us, a barbecue on a beautiful day doesn't sound like work but believe me it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment