Thursday 9 February 2012

Dad, Serbia and Shetlands

So far this year I have been somewhat remiss in my posting to the blog. In my defence I have been up to a fair bit. The Shetland Islands were an absolute revelation. Although we, as Brits, may consider ourselves an island race we really have no concept of the phrase. Those that live on the Islands on the periphery of mainland Britain breed a bunch or tough, uncompromising individuals. OK, when I say 'breed' that is not exactly correct as there are those that find their way to the likes of the Shetlands from all corners of the country. It's almost as though those that show, and feel, the quintessential elements of our proud island race find their way to the areas of our Islands that suit their hardy personality. I will return to the Shetlands soon.
Something serious always happens when you least expect it, or for that fact happen when you are in a situation to deal with it. It transpires that dad suffered a triple aneurism and was extremely lucky to be alive, the fact that he was picking up Eddy at the school definitely helped; having first aiders available right away was very fortunate. It looks as though that dad will be ready to leave hospital within a few days, as our lace is full of loud kids and a dog AND it's half-term I hope we can get dad up to Newcastle and the far more capable hands of my Auntie Susan, where life is quieter and better for his recovery.
The trip to Serbia is looming closer and I find myself looking forward to it more than i thought I would. Marko, my Serbian buddy, has put me in contact with his sister and she, in turn, has been a godsend and sorted out everything. I just hope I can return her confidence with a really good book.

1 comment: