Wednesday 1 February 2012

Shetlands for the second time

When I visited the Shetland Islands last November I fully intended to return for the Viking fire festival of Up Helly Aa. I'm not sure if I really intended to see this through, well not until I met Barbara Lines, after this point I had no choice. She, in her own indeterminable way convinced me that when I came back I would be playing as a visitor in the Lerwick Brass Band. It was so far in the future that I didn't mind. Time passed and the reminders for my bookings began to resurface via email. I began to feel nervous.
Will, Beth and Emma accompanied me on the trip and, surprisingly, they enjoyed the convoluted journey to Lerwick. The flight to Aberdeen was standard, but, when we arrived at the ferry-port the realisation dawned; the ship was carrying sheep, fish and cattle and was definitely NOT a passenger ferry.


I enjoyed the journey. My bunk was a tab small, indeed we all felt somewhat split up so predictably, for us anyway, we all ended up in the same cabin. The food was great wholesome, simple and filling. Beth was ill in the morning, sea-sick, but the rest us managed to remain in a healthy travelling state. On the approach to Lerwick we passed our booked accommodation.

The route through Bressay Sound was swift and calm. It wasn't long before we were slowly approaching the ferry terminal in Lerwick.



We acclimatised tour new home very quickly. We met with Barbara Lines, the incredibly insistent lady who had invited us all up to Shetland for Up Helly Aa predominantly for me to play in the band and further prepared for our day with the Vikings. This arrived all too quickly but I feel I acquitted myself well enough.


All in all a great experience and probably one we will all come back to do again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment