Monday 23 July 2012

Summer holidays...aaaaargh!!! Olympics...similar!!!

It's that time of year when the roads are empty, I can get to work in a fraction of the time, leaving the seasonal stress behind at home, poor Emma. This year we have an additional two family members, Lucy and Jessica Rutter, surprisingly it's far less stressed than I expected, the girls are fun to be around and really take the pressure off keeping Eddy and Beth occupied. That said I do feel a little guilty, I leave for the Shetlands on Wednesday night and will be away for the weekend, swimming and hiking around the most wonderful countryside I have ever encountered, photos to follow. On this visit I will finally, finally, finally, get my mitts on some unique sausages. Barbara has promised to keep some back from her latest batch of piggy-back pork. It may be inappropriate but, I am probably more excited about these sausages than any so far. I am looking forward to the whole trip, if I could find a reason and a means to support the horde, I would move to the Shetlands tomorrow. This trip will also form the final chapter of the Shetland section in the book, for which the rewrite has started. I have completely abandoned the pompous journal approach and decided to write it more along the lines of a first person account of events with added humour and wit, or not, time will tell.

It is no coincidence that I have chosen this weekend as the time to journey North in search of clear waters, sausages and the Aurora Borealis. The London Olympics open on the 27th of July, the first day Will and I are up North, which more than contributed to the decision to travel to a point as far as possible form the proceedings yet remain within the British Isles. Sausages, snorkelling and no Olympics, what fantastic prospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment