Wednesday 14 September 2011

As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared...

I used to love Mister Benn. I loved the idea that the mundane and every day can conceal a doorway to the fantastic, a portal where adventures exist for everyone, even the stereotypical Mister Benn. I guess that's what really appealed to me was that even the evidently dull and boring protagonist craved excitement. What I couldn't understand was at the end of each episode when he had triumphed of adversity, solved the problems of those he encountered in the many varied settings and was about to attend the Royal banquet (with a distinct opportunity to get it on with the princess), or is invited to an excellent piss up with pirates, circus folk or cowboys and indians that annoying little shit, 'The Shopkeeper' would put in an unwelcome appearance and direct our hero back to his fancy dress shop, BASTARD.

imgres.jpeg

The foul, fun spoiling shopkeeper!


I would like to think that I am trying to keep the spirit of Mister Benn alive and well in this new millennium.


The last trip we did failed in certain respects, mainly that I don't feel that we raised enough money for our chosen charity or that my brother, Tony, was adequately supported by his employers who have a well publicised employee fundraising initiative. Perhaps we left the charity/fundraising/sponsorship far too late. This time I will start by approaching Howden's Joinery to secure some sponsorship, at least for Tony's time and hopefully a car, or two, and some equipment. Oh, and some money for our chosen charities, both local, which have yet to be decided.


Just realised that I have the Mister Benn DVD somewhere, narrated by Ray Brooks if I am not mistaken. I'm off to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment