Thursday 8 September 2011

Selfish thoughts and being nasty to people...

Travelling, I mean travelling to places that have always intrigued and fascinated, is fundamentally a selfish act. We've all been there, planning the next move in a trip, attempting to influence everyone else to share your same opinion. No? Ok, maybe it's just me. I do admit that as, I choke at the next few words and my fingers know as I type, a middle aged man, there I said it. As a middle aged man I realise that my plans to travel are driven by my needs and my perceived feelings of inadequacy regarding areas of the planet I have not yet visited.

I am going somewhere with this, I promise. Previous trips; Casablanca, Prague and Timbuktu were all selected by mutual agreement. My next destination, however, may not be. I realise that Mongolia was a personal goal and as such I guess I may have impressed this upon Bill before we looked at the practicalities and realistic logistics of the journey. The fact that visas may be difficult for us, with Bill as a 17 year old, forced me to reconsider the overall plan. Mongolia, as I have previously mentioned, is on hold for another year and the intervening period will be filled with another trip. This gives us all the opportunity to take stock and consider.

Murmansk, through, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Sweden and Russian is our new aim. With, maybe two teams and and two cars. This will give Bill, and perhaps Sam, the time to gauge their feelings on overland trips in general and overland trips with their dad specifically.

Only a day until the Julian Nowill, rally launch party. A time for honesty and to reflect on assumptions and ideals.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment