Tuesday 9 October 2012

Chilli, or chili

Ok, I admit, I am a complete wuss when it comes to spicy food, especially Chilli. This is going to be a bit of a penalty when I have to sit and judge some of the tastiest and hottest chillis on the planet. I have a rather peculiar memory when it comes to hot and spicy food in that I have none. No matter what I eat, or how spicy it is, I retain no memory of how painful the experience may have been and will always, invariably repeat the experience.

With my upcoming challenge foremost in my mind Emma has suggested that I 'man up' to a large degree and get used to the different levels of spicy goodness. A standard chilli will be cooked and a number of pepper sauces added to give an advancing level of hot stuff.

Chilli is rated on the Scoville scale, measured from; 0 - sweet bell pepper, to, 16,000,000, Blair's sixteen million reserve.

I do not aim to explore the whole range, BUT, I do want to see how I can deal with quantified chilli heat.

1 - Original Tabasco              2500 - 5000 Scoville units
2 - Habanero Tabasco           7000 - 8000 Scoville units
3 - Daves Insanity Sauce       180000 Scoville units

For me that will be enough, I'll video it all and post it of course. I may find some additional sauces, perhaps one or two, just to show a wider approach but pleas do not judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment