Wednesday 23 May 2012

Feeling the years

It has often been said that it's not the years it's the mileage that wears us down. I would tend to agree with one proviso, not only is it the mileage it's the calories as well. When Emma suggested that I set myself a goal, a target by which I would need to get fit, I did of course go over the top as I have mentioned in previous posts. Booking myself and Will onto a Everest base camp trek next year, September to be precise, seemed like such a long way in the future that I would have plenty of opportunity to improve my fitness. Now that we are both committed, deposits paid and the dates set, I realise that I have set myself on a difficult path, literally.

A few years ago, I suddenly realised that I was older than every player in the Premiership and as such the likelihood that I would be able to make a living as a professional footballer was rather slim, in fact it was with some regret that I finally accepted that this would now never happen. From then on, now that I was looking for the signs I saw them everywhere and had to accept them all. For example, food; I can no longer consume a majority of seafood as it invariably leads to an attack of gout, marvellous. Red meat in any quantity, especially beef, causes bowel problems and, probably the worst, curries are almost taboo. Exercise is the most recent addition to the list, no longer can I just decide to throw on a pair of Reeboks and run off for miles, my knees disallow that, as well as my sedentary disposition for the past few years. Si a gentle approach and a gradual increase in exertion levels is the next logical acceptance.

Last year, on holiday in Wiltshire, Will and I decided to hike a section of the Wansdyke, fourteen miles of it. We managed ten. I was ruined and collapsed at the end of this walk which only mildly taxed Will. With all of these factors very much in my mind, I began my training schedule for Everest last week. Conscious that it is more than a year in the future I feel that I am giving myself a real chance of achieving the level of fitness I require. That said, my two mile walk (two and a half to be precise) tonight has absolutely knackered me. I am, however, determined to persevere and see this through.

Booking this challenge so far in advance has another added advantage, both Will and I have plenty of time to raise money for our chosen charity, The Rowans Hospice. There is also a possibility that Tony may be able to accompany us, may have mentioned that before so apologies in case. The clock is ticking.

1 comment:

  1. Yes but you do have a rucksack full of heavy books when you go for your walk - good on you. Life begins at 44, sorry about the cliche.

    ReplyDelete