Friday 27 May 2011

Sausages!!

I have been reading a book by Simon Majumdar, Eat My Globe, the tag of which is 'Go everywhere, eat everything'. On the whole it's a well written book but a bit to high-brow and opinionated for me. There too many visits to far too many high class restaurants, but the concept is great. I have been struggling to come up with a gimmick for our trip next year, after reading Simon's book I realised that he had successfully used the subject of food to break down social and cultural barriers. He had travelled to potentially awkward destinations, such as areas of the USA, Argentina, Mexico and China. In every one, even when he failed to find a tasty dish, he always managed to connect with his guides, hosts or co-travellers, all because they were following their passion; food. I don't presume to have the level of expertise required to follow this example BUT I do know what I like.

I have visited many, many roadside eateries and tasted basic, food in a lot of countries and the one food I am always attracted to try is, or is it are, sausages. From the slightly spicy Cumberland sausages from Cranstons in Brampton just outside Carlisle, to the highly dubious fatty bangers from Abu Dhabi I loved them all. German Bratwurst in Darmstadt and Spanish Chorizo in Tarifa, at almost every port of call I have found myself sampling what was available. Every country in the world has its own version of sausage, generally more than one, and in some cases dozens or even hundreds.

There is obviously much more research and planning to undertake now that we have a theme to follow. The good news is that I can extend a mere blog into a book. I will still blog and will still report on every step of the journey. Bill and Sam will hopefully, if they can bother themselves to get licenses and CBTs, be able to accompany me on any preliminary trips we do around the UK. I assume that there are forums and sites on the internet dedicated solely to the culinary delight that is the sausage. I realised that I have the time and opportunity to explore the sausage delights of Britain before the time we leave for Mongolia. In fact the trip to Greece also allows an opportunity to experience the sausages of a number of European countries: France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia and of course Greece. We can revisit and increase our exposure to sausages of the world next year when we leave for Mongolia and with this in mind I will be looking change our route. Possibly to visit, in addition to our current itinerary: Austria and Hungary, maybe Czech republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania. More planing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment