Friday 7 September 2012

Amsterdam (IBC) day 1 - Hotels, hashish and muffins

As I write this I am in one of the cities famous coffee shops actually having a coffee, Sam thinks I'm mental.

On every visit to Amsterdam, whether attending IBC or for some other reason, I have always felt a little disappointed and let down for  anumber of reasons. This time has proved to be no different. Ok, I I booked the hotel a little later than I should July I think, and as such had to take what was available. Through an extreme error of judgement on my part the hotel I booked can only be described as an absolute shit hole, not even that good. I normally vet places I book through 'Trip Advisor' but as this place seemed akin to Stella Artois, i.e. reassuringly expensive, I assumed that all would be well, how fucking wrong I was (I apologise for the abnormal use of profanity). As Geoff Chaucer said in Knights Tale, I shall eviscerate you in verse...Trip Advisor review coming soon for Vivaldi Budget Hotel.

Sam is Ok with things, which is a small consolation and is offering me some encouragement. He has purchased a muffin of decidely questionable pedigree in the similarly dodgy coffee shop/internet cafe we currently frequent and is planning the point of ingestion. I on the other hand opted for a very dull coffee, I did receive some odd looks when I asked about the caffeine only options.

The poor selection of hotel leaves us with no real base to sit and plan our IBC strategy as the room has no space spare, the two single beds completely use up all of the available floor space, in fact I think the en-suite bathroom is the same size as the room. I have realised that as I get older the selection of a hotel room is more important. Twenty, or even ten years ago if I was visiting a city such as Amsterdam I would have precious little time to spend in the room. Now it's a place to sit, relax and perhaps build a little fort (cheers Homer).

Time nearly up, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment