Monday 3 September 2012

German cheese-boarding and couch surfing (not German but regular)

My vacuous hour in the mornings as I drive to work on a mind-numbingly familiar and dull roads is usually exactly as described, roughly sixty minutes of boredom. I normally sink into a state of semi-torpor, I've even given up listening to audiobooks in a vain attempt to stimulate my brain, and this morning started no differently. By the time I was halfway to work, passing Petersfield on the A3, I was wallowing in sad thoughts regarding Mister Benn the movie and who would be the best option to play the shopkeeper, when, for some inexplicable reason, I glanced at the car overtaking me. It was a black Renault Espace with German plates, probably came off the seven thirty ferry at Portsmouth. Nothing strange with that, however, as the driver looked across at me his passenger, presumably his wife was proudly holding a loft a cheese-board. Yes, a proper cheese-board, a large square slab of wood covered with small wedges of cheese from which the teutonic traveller took his selection. As he bit into the rancid dairy produce he glanced back over at me with a smug smile of self-satisfaction and sped past. Odd.

On a separate note the Vegas trip looms closer, OK I do need to get the plan for Hungary sorted too but that's closer to home, I still need to arrange someone to help me into the Vegas mentality and perhaps show me some of the sights off the tourist trail but the wonderful phenomena that is Couchsurfing.org has given me access to some potential buddies in Vegas baby!! The World Food Championships starts in November so there is a little time to get things sorted, although the organisers have yet to confirm my inclusion in the activities, I have volunteered my expertise as a judge, what a great way to get stuck in to the whole American BBQ scene, and also been offered a media pass. Tickets are on sale, including the VIP passes which give full access to the post judging champagne parties and access to the winning teams and celebrities, great for the book. Viva Las Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment