Friday 17 June 2011

The sausage trail begins...

The decision was made, by me I guess, to make today the first real day of the sausage trail today. As mentioned before, 'Previously on the sausage trail!!', the intention was to compare a few types of sausages. We already had the wild boar sausages from Tony's fresh fish in Gosport and had made it our mission to find the award winning 'Phil's Sausages' in Lee-on-Solent before we cooked and rated the sausages.

The greasy, cold unseasonable rain was a bit off putting as I pulled off the Lee seafront and slowly drove down the parallel High Street. A conventional butchers drew my attention, Emma was keen to stay dry in the car whilst I explored, but was ve
ry clearly evident that it was not the correct outlet. As I followed the street numbers and approached the area, I saw ahead an obvious awning sporting the monicker, 'Phil's Sausages'. I had driven past this place once and failed to see it, I am such a nob. As I entered the shop I felt somewhat elated,; Phil stood in a corner with a sausage making machine generating his craft. I couldn't believe that in this day and age a shop could be so 'kin brilliant.

A lone crusader against the superm
arket invasion, Phil was a refreshing sight. The sausages were fat and inviting. The uncooked sausages did look quite nice....;-)


They did, but the grill was a bit manky.








Cooked, the sausages looked
somewhat better.










Thankfully they were eventually cooked. The fantastic aroma wafting from the grill had kept me and my dad in rapture for the duration. I sliced them and served.

The verdict!!

We all voted on all sausages, out of ten. When I say all, I mean Me, Emma, Dad and Beth. The results are as follows:

Phil's Sausages:

British Pork 31/40
Boerewors 32/40

Tony's Fresh Fish

Wild Boar 27/40

We will be having the rest for breakfast...hehehehe

I love sausages and will continuing the trail tomorrow, cheers Phil your sausages are awesome. The upshot is that the British Pork from Phil was excellent but the South African Boerewors was so different it was excellent.

The other point worth mentioning was that I did not visit Phil's on the Cub, that will come.

Badger on all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment