Friday 24 June 2011

Who is Billy Figgy?

As a child, on my visits to my grandparents who lived on a council estate in Wallsend, my Granda would ensure compliance with references to a mysterious bogeyman called 'Billy Figgy'. He had used this with my dad and my aunty and uncle, always suggesting that if we did not behave, 'Billy Figgy would get us!'
I have just had a discussion with my dad and more information has come to light. He told me that at the age of four or five he was talking with some kids who leaved close by, Irish possibly, who talked of Mister Figgy in hushed reverential tones, this made an impression on my dad. This must have been around 1950. Some time later, after a hunt for Billy in the loft of the home of these children my Granda became aware of the potential of this and took it on.
A few years later, at the age of seven or eight my dad was aware of a mentally disabled man who would direct the buses in Wallsend and equated Billy Figgy to him, this was probably not right but still had an effect.

WHO IS BILLY FIGGY?

Any help gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment