Tuesday 18 October 2011

Holiday reading

I paid a visit to Waterstones to stock up on reading material for the upcoming holiday to Cumbria. I did intend to select some light reading, maybe some sci-fi fantasy that I read years ago but instead I was attracted to the travel section. I disregarded the numerous books following various brave individuals who had cycled across various continents, there were so very many of these. I also disregarded the books following the terminally class as they spent seasons in any number of French departments and recounted their not very funny experiences, far too many of these in my opinion. I also disregarded Bill Bryson (not keen) and Michael Palin (read them all). I also rejected any extreme accounts of ice adventures, it seems that there are very few people left who have not been to one or other of the polar extremities of the planet. Following my exclusions there were surprisingly few books left, I just hope that those I finally bought are any good.

Prior to this and following a re-read of a previous post I realised that if I am to begin the sausage trail in earnest on the 5th February I have a great deal I could write about, the chapter on sausages in particular could begin at any time. I needed research material, can you believe that there are a number of books exclusively written about sausages, recipes and history, I think that this book will form the real reading whilst on holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment