Friday 7 October 2011

Obsession has a bad press

I have always been impressed with those obsessed. I don't mean extreme OCD nor do I mean scary irrational obsession, I refer instead to those perfectionist individuals who slip from passionate interest to obsessive following. They are the masters of their field and nearly always excel. These are those that we see at the top of their field, whatever that may be, at the expense of all else; family, relationships, holidays, hobbies and anything else that is not connected with the object of their obsession. In my mind it's the only way to excel, to rise to a pinnacle of achievement and shine like a stellar primus (I may have made that phrase up). That said I am not obsessive, just passionate and selfish, not quite the same but almost there.

Thanks to Andy on his message regarding the acceptance of chaos. Emma also questioned me on my need for order and planning, there is a simple answer to this. Just as the first casualty of a battle is the plan so the first casualty of a trip is the schedule. A plan is only that; a vague idea of what we would like to happen, without such the mayhem that ensues would give me no chance to recover.

The plan is made. Well, I have an idea now of what I am doing. The sausage trail is now really happening, the calendar on this blog will quickly fill up with my potential itinerary and subsequent alternatives. I will comment on this tomorrow.

My first trip, after the family visit to the lake district, will be the Shetland Islands for their food festival. Great place to start!!

No comments:

Post a Comment