Thursday 18 July 2013

Being thankful for small things

I'm well into the longest period I've ever experienced without any regular income and, surprisingly, other than watching the bouncing direct debits and not knowing how I'm going to get back on track with them (I do have a plan actually) I'm actually rather sanguine. Today was probably the happiest and most positive day I can remember for months.

First of all I am enjoying working with my wife on a daily basis. She is far more focussed on single tasks than I could ever hope to be with my brain constantly running at a million miles an hour in an attempt to keep dozens of plates spinning. I try to imitate her approach and knock down the problems one at a time but that seldom works. So I scribble my plan for the day on a whiteboard and try to use that as a basis to structure my approach. Today I just wrote: INCOME - ABC (Always Be Closing) and that will do for now. The pending contract with Arqiva seems further away than ever with no contact from the guy responsible for making the final decision. I have applied for just under a hundred contract roles with most of the agencies not even bothering to reply by email let alone call.

Today my sister-in-laws husband, a rather septic little tick, suggested that I go and work offshore on the oil-rigs and sent some links. I'm not sure what world he lives in but an engineer is not just an engineer. After trawling through a few of the sites, most were useless but at least he bothered, I gave up and sent off half-a-dozen applications for shit I know I can do and my CV supports that. The problem I have is that I have grown, not just accustomed to, but rely on, the instant financial gratification that is the world of contracting and by taking a permanent job I may as well stick with Cerberus as within a month we will have a couple of revenue streams rolling in.

Secondly, after a very productive day, starting with a post mortem of the debacle that was our London 10K effort; insufficient technical support meant that we lost the stream and the customer refused to accept the link when re-established (understandable) and followed by discussions with three customers/partners who are keen to close the deal. I also furthered our pending partnership with a leading manufacturer of high-end satellite hardware when I confirmed that a colleague, cheers Pete, was finalising dates for demonstrations to two major broadcasters aligned with the armed forces. At that point the heat got to me and I buggered off down the beach for a bit of a paddle.

Charlotte stood and watched as splashed about like a three year old in exactly the same spot where, just over a week ago, I had an unfortunate accident and shit myself. Buoyed by the lovely weather I decided to collect Ed and return for a swim, which I did. Beth and Will joined us, although Beth failed to get more than her legs wet. She originally wore tights for the beach, buffoon! This is the same girl who wore hot pants tights and a light tee-shirt/vest on a visit to the Shetland Islands last January when we visited Meal Beach in a blizzard, good look Beth ;-) The sea was lovely and we stayed for over an hour before I decided I was knackered. Back home we went.

Our financial situation has also led to a more creative approach in the kitchen and the rediscovery of some almost forgotten meals. I had cheesy, hammy, eggy for lunch (an old Navy fave) and had to recreate this for Beth and Will before leaving to the caravan where I now sit awaiting the arrival of my dad from France.

The motivating factor for tonights blog was the drive to the caravan. I sparked up my iPad and
blasted Jimmy Buffett all the way, this always cheers me up and today was no exception. Love 'Mexico' and 'Someday I Will'.

They always say; 'The darkest hour is just before dawn.' We'll see. I prefer, and this is my personal motto which I have also posted in Latin:

'If you throw enough balls at enough coconuts sooner or later you will win a fish.'

In Latin (rocks substituted for balls)

'Saxa iaciunt, si satis ad satis coconuts citius aut serius, vos mos lucror pisce.'

And to finish a disturbing picture of a smoking monkey wearing a Fez (For Briggsy)


1 comment: