Thursday 27 June 2013

Well I was going to write about...

a white paper I read today; 'The socio-economic effect of broadband in sub-Saharan Africa.' but then I saw this:

After 75Years Spam is now available in this 200g, easy to open, plastic tub. Available from Tesco early July and Asda a month later. How cool is that? Spam is a much maligned super-food. In fact, my memory of particular meals and snacks is somewhat limited but I do remember a sandwich I had somewhere in the wilds of Mali en route to Timbuktu.

Tony and I had driven 18 hours a day for four days at this point and eaten very little. We stopped at a shack in a rough village somewhere between Bamako and Mopti to buy some local bread, a bit like wholemeal flattish baguettes (the French probably have a specific name for this) and sliced up some Spam, very greasy in the heat, it was the most amazing taste, I felt slightly guilty as the local kids looked on in envy at my porky treat, sometimes religion can be a hindrance.

Thought I would share that. Maybe something a tad more high-brow tomorrow, although I doubt it.

1 comment:

  1. I brought a pepperoni in the bedsit I lived at in London - they protested after they found it in their fridge - do you remember?

    ReplyDelete